Wat Maheyong is one of the significant temple in the group of monuments located out side the capital island to the east. It was built in early Ayutthaya period in the reign of King Sam Phraya, in 1438.
The main stupa is bell shaped and surrounded by elephant figures. The Father of Thai History, Prince Damrong, presumed that this stupa was influenced by the stupa named "Chedi Chai" in Lanka (Sri Lanka). Stupas with elephants can be found in Sukhothai, Si Satchanalai and Kamphaeng Phet. Restoration was made in 1709 in the reign of King Thai Sa (1708-1732).